- The initial cost for this certification is $130.00.
- Candidates must score a minimum of 83% to pass.
- Candidates can re-take the exam if they fail for an additional $130.00 fee.
- Medical Gas Instructor Certifications are valid for three (3) years from issuance, as long as the following individual requirement is maintained: Instructors shall maintain a current Medical Gas Systems Installer certification compliant with ASSE Standard 6010.
- Recertification can be accomplished by (1) completing a minimum 4-hour training course to subsequent editions of NFPA 99, and (2) successfully passing a proctored multiple-choice open book examination. Both the course and the examination are required according to ASSE 6000, sections 50-3.3.1 and 50-3.3.2. The recertification examination contains forty questions based on the most current edition of NFPA 99. Candidates must answer a minimum of thirty-two (32) of the questions (80%) correctly on the examination to achieve a passing grade. Two (2) hours are allowed for the examination.
Effective July 1, 2020, Medical Gas Examinations will only be administered by computer.
Medical Gas Instructors train or teach installers, inspectors, verifiers, and healthcare facility maintenance personnel regarding medical gas and vacuum distribution systems. A Medical Gas Instructor certification candidate is a qualified individual who can demonstrate competence within their scope and will be proficient in and experienced in teaching and in the installation of medical gas and vacuum systems covered by the ASSE Series 6000 Standard. In addition to teaching experience and knowledge of product installation, a Medical Gas Instructor is required to have a general knowledge of the applicable laws, codes, rules, listing agencies, and regulations from the federal, state, and local levels pertaining to medical gas and vacuum systems as well as knowledge of product performance, system and system component testing, documenting and recording, and medical gas terminology. Medical gas systems and equipment covered in the ASSE Series 6000 Standard include health care facilities within the scope of NFPA 99, Health Care Facilities Code. Medical gas piping systems include vacuum piping.
- Candidates must have a minimum of ten (10) years of documented experience in the installation of plumbing or mechanical piping systems, including a minimum of two (2) years of documented experience in the installation of medical gas and vacuum systems
- Candidates must have a minimum of two (2) years documented practical teaching experience.
- Candidate shall have completed a minimum 40-hour training course conducted by a Medical Gas Systems Instructor certified to ASSE Standard 6050
- Candidate shall have a current NITC 6010 Medical Gas Installer certification.
Application and Examination Request Forms
NFPA 99 Online Training Preparation for ASSE Series 6000 Recertification
If you are NITC certified in the installation, inspection, verification, and/or maintenance of medical gas and vacuum systems, one place you can get the training to maintain your certification to ASSE 6000 series is the new NFPA 99 online training series.
This four-hour course fulfills ASSE requirements for a refresher course as part of recertification to the new edition of NFPA 99. The internet-based NFPA training course allows you to work online in your own timeframe to earn the mandated Continuing Education Credit (CEU). Upon successful completion of the course series, participants will be prompted to download the CEU certificate directly from the course site.
Visit NFPA to get all the details on the course and how to register for it.
Available Medical Gas Courses
For a list of Medical Gas Courses and Independent Instructors Click Here.
Locate a Prometric Test Center
You will need your Eligibility ID to schedule your exam. This will be provided to you in your approval email. To locate a Prometric Center near you Click Here.