- The initial cost for this certification is $136.00.
- Candidates must score a minimum of 82% to pass.
- Candidates can re-take the exam if they fail for an additional $136.00 fee.
- This certification is valid for five (5) years from issuance.
- Recertification can be accomplished by successfully passing a fifty (50) question, proctored multiple choice “open book” examination. UA textbook or HVACR manuals that are available through industry sources can serve as references for this examination. Candidates must answer forty (40) of the questions (80%) correctly on the examination to achieve a passing grade. Two (2) hours are allowed for the examination. The recertification examination may be taken computer-based at any PSI testing location.
A STAR HVACR Mastery certification candidate is a qualified individual who can demonstrate mastery of the trade and will be skilled and experienced in operations, planning, blueprint reading, safety, and the practical installation, repair, and service of HVACR systems.
Installation, repair, and service of HVACR systems includes the design, construction, installation, alteration(retrofit), repair, service and maintenance of all boilers, HVAC air handling systems, ductwork systems, refrigeration piping systems, process piping heating and cooling systems in residential, commercial and industrial settings.
A qualified Master Mechanic may perform these tasks alone, or through the supervision of other individuals.
It is expected that the STAR HVACR Mastery examination candidate is a technician who has completed a UA training program or equivalent, and/or has five years of experience in the industry.
- Candidates must provide five (5) years of documented work experience installing and servicing HVACR equipment and piping systems, or provide documentation of being in the fifth (5th) year of a HVACR training program involving the installation and servicing of HVACR equipment and piping systems.
Application and Examination Request Forms
Locate PSI Centers