- The initial cost for this certification is $116.00.
- Candidates must score a minimum of 75% to pass.
- Candidates can re-take the exam if they fail for an additional $116.00 fee.
- This certification is valid for three (3) years from issuance.
Once the requirements outlined above are met, recertification can be accomplished by successfully passing a multiple-choice open book examination. The recertification examination contains forty questions based on the most current edition of the NFPA 99. Candidates must answer thirty-two (32) of the questions (80%) correctly on the examination to achieve a passing grade. Four hours are allowed for the examination
Effective July 1, 2020, Medical Gas Examinations will only be administered by computer.
A Medical Gas Systems Maintenance Personnel certification candidate is a qualified individual who can demonstrate competence within their scope and will be proficient in and experienced in the maintenance of medical gas and vacuum systems covered by the ASSE Series 6000 Standard. A qualified Medical Gas Maintenance worker may perform such maintenance tasks alone, or through the supervision of other individuals.
In addition to knowledge of product maintenance, a Medical Gas Maintenance worker is required to have a general knowledge of the applicable laws, codes, rules, listing agencies, and regulations from the federal, state, and local levels pertaining to medical gas and vacuum systems as well as knowledge of product performance, system and system component testing, documenting and recording, and medical gas terminology.
Medical gas systems and equipment covered in the ASSE Series 6000 Standard include health care facilities within the scope of NFPA 99, Health Care Facilities Code. Medical gas piping systems include vacuum piping.
- Candidates must be employed or contracted by a health care facility, or actively engaged in working with medical gas systems.
- Candidate shall have minimum of one (1) year of documented practical experience in the maintenance of medical gas systems.
- Candidate shall have completed a minimum 32-hour training course for the 2015 edition or a 24-hour training course for the 2018 edition conducted by a Medical Gas Systems Instructor certified to ASSE Standard 6050
Application and Examination Request Forms
Online Recertification Examinations
Per the ASSE 6000 a minimum 4-hour training course to subsequent editions of the NFPA is required prior to registering for the recertification examination.
NFPA 99 Online Training Preparation for ASSE Series 6000 Recertification
If you are NITC certified in the installation, inspection, verification, and/or maintenance of medical gas and vacuum systems, one place you can get the training to maintain your certification to ASSE 6000 series is the new NFPA 99 online training series.
This four-hour course fulfills ASSE requirements for a refresher course as part of recertification to the new edition of NFPA 99. The internet-based NFPA training course allows you to work online in your own timeframe to earn the mandated Continuing Education Credit (CEU). Upon successful completion of the course series, participants will be prompted to download the CEU certificate directly from the course site.
Visit NFPA to get all the details on the course and how to register for it.
Available Medical Gas Courses
For a list of Medical Gas Courses and Independent Instructors Click Here.