- The initial cost for this certification is $354.00 for both written and practical portions.
- Candidates must score a minimum of 80% to pass on each section (written and practical).
- Candidates can re-take the exam if they fail for an additional $354.00 for both written and practical portions or $177.00 for each failed portion.
- This certification is valid for three (3) years from issuance.
- Recertification can be accomplished by (1) completing a minimum 4-hour training course to subsequent editions of NFPA 99, and (2) successfully passing a proctored multiple-choice open book examination. Both the course and the examination are required according to ASSE 6000, sections 30-3.3.1 and 30-3.3.2. The recertification examination contains forty questions based on the most current edition of the NFPA 99. Candidates must answer a minimum of thirty (30) of the questions (75%) correctly on the examination to achieve a passing grade. Two (2) hours are allowed for the examination.
A Medical Gas Verifier certification candidate is a qualified individual who can demonstrate competence within their scope and will be proficient in and experienced in the installation, inspection, and verification of medical gas and vacuum systems covered by the ASSE Series 6000 Standard. Verifiers include any individual who tests and verifies the operation of medical gas and vacuum systems. A qualified Medical Gas Verifier may perform these tasks alone, or through the supervision of other individuals.
In addition to knowledge of product installation, inspection and verification, a Medical Gas Verifier is required to have a general knowledge of the applicable laws, codes, rules, listing agencies, and regulations from the federal, state, and local levels pertaining to medical gas and vacuum systems as well as knowledge of product performance, system and system component testing, documenting and recording, and medical gas terminology.
Medical gas systems and equipment covered in the ASSE Series 6000 Standard include health care facilities within the scope of NFPA 99, Health Care Facilities Code. Medical gas piping systems include vacuum piping.
This certification is administered in accordance with the American Society of Sanitary Engineers (ASSE) Series 6000. Copies of this standard may be obtained by contacting ASSE at (708) 995-3019, or at http://www.asse-plumbing.org/.
- Candidates must have a minimum of two (2) years of documented practical experience in the verification of medical gas piping systems. Records substantiating the required experience or testimonial letters on company letterhead from employers are required. Testimonial letters must fully describe duties performed and dates employed, and must be accompanied by W-2 forms.
- Candidates are also required to have a current certificate of insurance, in the name of the individual or employing verification company, for general liability, and professional liability insurance.
- Candidate shall have completed a minimum 32-hour training course conducted by a Medical Gas Systems Instructor certified to ASSE Standard 6050
Application and Examination Request Forms
NFPA 99 Online Training Preparation for ASSE Series 6000 Recertification
If you are NITC certified in the installation, inspection, verification, and/or maintenance of medical gas and vacuum systems, one place you can get the training to maintain your certification to ASSE 6000 series is the new NFPA 99 online training series.
This four-hour course fulfills ASSE requirements for a refresher course as part of recertification to the new edition of NFPA 99. The internet-based NFPA training course allows you to work online in your own timeframe to earn the mandated Continuing Education Credit (CEU). Upon successful completion of the course series, participants will be prompted to download the CEU certificate directly from the course site.
Visit NFPA to get all the details on the course and how to register for it.
Available Medical Gas Courses
For a list of Medical Gas Courses and Independent Instructors Click Here.